How to Watch Disney+ from Anywhere Outside the US 2022
Photo from Unsplash
Disney+ has quickly become a serious streaming service, but it’s region-locked depending on where you’re attempting to watch it from. This means that it may be blocked while attempting to stream abroad, as you’re only allowed to watch shows when you’re physically located in specific countries.
Due to broadcasting restrictions, Disney+ is unable to release some shows in certain locations. The core catalog of Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel content is available almost everywhere, but what do you do for regional programming specific to the United States or anywhere outside your current location?
A streaming VPN will allow you to unblock Disney+ content outside of the United States, so you’ll be able to watch international versions of the streaming service from anywhere in the world.
Use a Streaming VPN to unblock Disney+ shows anywhere in the world.
How to Use a VPN for Disney+
Let’s start with the most important section. Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to use a VPN for Disney plus.
- Select a VPN provider, and sign up for their service. (Here are the Best streaming VPN options of 2022 )
- Download the VPN app to your mobile or desktop device. (iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, Linux, etc.)
- Install the app, and log in.
- You’ll now have to choose a server, depending on the region you’d like to connect to. (A US server will unlock US content, while the same is true for the UK, and other countries.)
- Sign up or sign in to Disney Plus. (If you need to sign up, your payment info needs to match one of the regions in which the service is available. We’ll discuss a workaround below.)
- You should now be able to watch US Disney+. If you’d like to test out another region, log out, and switch to a different server. You should see the following message:
- Tap OK to begin.
It’s relatively simple to stream Disney+ with a VPN.
Note: To watch the US version, make sure to switch to a server found in the United States.
Can I sign up for Disney+ from abroad?
Disney+ is available in over 50 countries/regions, but what can you do if you’re abroad in a country with no coverage, or you haven’t signed up with the service yet? Third-party apps like Apple and Google are a good place to start if you’re looking for a quick workaround.
This method involves making a new account on your Apple/Google device, buying an iTunes/Play Store gift card loaded with US dollars, and using it to sign up with the service while connected to a VPN. This has worked for some users, but it’s not foolproof.
For example, in the European Union, Disney+ is obliged to allow users to access the service while abroad in all other EU countries by law. To stop rampant abuse, users need to; “perform a zero-auth transaction* to verify that your home country is in the EU.”
This means they verify your payment method, checking to see if it matches up with your supposed location.
What is the fastest VPN for streaming?
There are hundreds of VPNs available in the App Store or Google Play, but most of them are free VPNs that sell your data for profit or track your online activity. To sift through the junk, we’ve tested and reviewed over thirty of the best VPNs in 2022.
Here’s a list of the five best VPNs for streaming Disney+ below. Each will unlock international content at blistering speeds, secure your login information, and hide your IP address in the process. Beyond that, they’ll also provide some combination of optimized servers, WireGuard protocol support, and SmartPlay functionality specifically meant for streaming.
Use a VPN for streaming Disney+ no matter where you are.
Disney+ Supported Devices
Disney+ supports a variety of web browsers, mobile devices, smart TVs, gaming consoles, and other TV-connected streaming devices. In fact, it’s tough to find many modern smart devices that don’t support the service in some shape or form.
Here’s a roundup of the various devices that can be used to watch Disney+.
- Chrome 75+ is supported on Windows 7 and later
- Edge is supported on Windows 10 and later
- Firefox 68+ is supported on Windows 7 and later
- Safari 11+ is supported on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and later
- Chrome 75+ is supported on macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) and later
- Firefox 68+ is supported on macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) and later
- The latest version of Chrome is supported on Chrome OS 79 and later
Mobile devices and tablets
- Apple iPhones and iPads
- Android phones and tablets
- Amazon Fire tablet
- Windows 10 & 11 tablets and computers
- Android TV devices
- Hisense smart TVs
- LG WebOS smart TVs
- Samsung Tizen smart TVs
- Vizio SmartCast TV
Gaming consoles and streaming devices
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV (4th generation and later)
- Cox Contour TV and Contour Stream Player Box
- Xfinity Flex and X1 TV Box
Why do I need a VPN for Disney+?
As part of the ongoing battle between streaming services, Disney+ has added a heap of extra content in various regions at no extra cost.
For example, Disney Plus Star is found in the UK, with “bingeable series that everyone is talking about like the exclusive final season of the global phenomenon The Walking Dead.”
This isn’t accessible with a US account, but it’ll work if you switch to a UK server. (Check out the Star tab, found next to the Nat Geo icon in the image below.)
(Disney Plus Star is currently available in Australia, Canada, Europe, the UK, New Zealand, and Singapore.)
This is just one example of the differences you’ll find in terms of the content available with international versions of Disney+.
Disney+ and VPNs: FAQs
Here are some of the more common questions concerning streaming Disney+ from anywhere with a VPN.
- Which country has the best Disney+ movies and TV shows?
- Does Disney+ block VPNs?
- Is it legal to watch Disney+ with a VPN?
- How to troubleshoot Disney+ with a VPN?
- Which regions have Disney+?
- Can I use a free VPN for Disney+?
- Are you allowed to watch Disney+ while abroad?
1. Which country has the best Disney+ movies and TV shows?
The Disney+ lineup is similar throughout most regions, but there are some differences to be aware of. Of the currently available regions, it depends on what you’d prefer to watch. For example, Disney Plus in the US lacks Fox’s X-Men movies, while the UK version has the original trilogy, Days of Future Past, and two Wolverine spin-offs in its roster. Disney Plus Star also adds a heap of more adult-themed content. The US tends to get Disney films and specials first, so there’s always a trade-off.
If you use a VPN for streaming, you can bypass all these select restrictions and access libraries no matter where you are.
2. Does Disney+ block VPNs?
Yes. During testing, Disney+ wouldn’t load if the VPN server had been previously blocked or banned. It would either hang during sign-up, or it would revert to my local (UK) version. You may also see the following error message:
“Something went wrong. Please try again. If the problem persists, visit the Disney+ Help Center (Error Code 83).”
That’s why we’d advocate for the use of a premium streaming VPN, as free providers tend to lack the resources necessary to unblock Disney+ regularly.
3. Is it legal to watch Disney+ with a VPN?
Yes. You won’t get into any trouble with authorities if you use a VPN for streaming Disney+. (Of course, this is true as long as your country hasn’t banned VPNs, but this won’t affect users in the US.) At worst, they could ban your account, although I’ve never heard of that happening.
4. How to troubleshoot Disney+ with a VPN?
There are a number of ways to troubleshoot any potential streaming VPN issues. The easiest method is to disconnect from the VPN server, and reconnect to get a new IP address. This should work to resolve most issues. Otherwise, get in contact with the VPN, and see if their reps have a solution.
5. Which regions have Disney+?
They don’t provide a dedicated list, but Disney+ is available in over 50 countries/regions throughout:
- North America
- Latin America
If you’re in a region that doesn’t currently have access to Disney+, their help pages note: “Disney+ plans to launch in all major countries and more will be announced soon.”
Until then, a streaming VPN is the best method to access the Disney+ platform.
6. Can I use a free VPN for Disney+?
The majority of free VPNs will limit their service in some shape or form. If you find a free VPN that is able to access Disney+, they’re likely to cap the amount of bandwidth you can use or your connection speeds. The best VPN for streaming video will have no caps or limits, but it’ll be tough to find a free service that ticks all of the boxes.
7. Are you allowed to watch Disney+ while abroad?
The Disney+ help page state: “Yes, when you are abroad, you can watch your downloaded series and movies in offline mode. If you are abroad and online where Disney+ is available, you will also be able to stream content that is available in that country.”