2019-2020 Sports Betting Statistics List
Originally posted on https://bonusdragon.com/sports-betting-stats/
With the global sports betting market currently valued between $60 – 73 billion, the industry has experienced a tremendous surge in growth at a rate of $10 billion annually since 2009.
Research even shows that 50% of adults in the United States have placed a sports bet once in their life.
If you’re among that statistic and looking to place some more bets, we’ve got a list of sports betting statistics to help you back your decisions with solid data.
The list covers stats for the following sporting sectors:
NFL Betting Statistics
Betting on the NFL is tough.
This is mainly due to the point spread system invented by Charles McNeil in the 1940s. Now according to BetLabsSport.com odds database, for over 15 consecutive seasons, NFL favorites have moved against the spread at 1,859 – 1,860, with 111 pushes.
Within those 15 years, 1,886 games stayed under the total, and 1,890 games went over the total, that’s with 64 games hitting the over/under.
With those results above, you’ll need all the luck you can get taking on the odds makers responsible for them, as well as the relevant numbers to help you know how to place your bets properly.
Here are some notes and numbers to help you:
Enter your text here…
Where the Money and Bets Are
- The number of bets placed on the Los Angeles Rams to emerge as winners at the Super Bowl is more than the amount put on any other team at the Westgate Sportsbook. In second place with the most attracted bets for the super bowl, are the Green Bay Packer, then the Minnesota Vikings and 49ers.
- There’s been more money bet on the Green Bay Packers to win the Super Bowl, than any other team at the SuperBook. The second team attracting the most money is the Los Angeles Rams, followed by the Vikings and Eagles.
- Station Casinos’ biggest liability is on the browns. A Super Bowl victory for the Cleveland Brown’s would be over 4 times worse than any other team for Station’s sportsbook.
- Across the MetLife Stadium, the FanDuel SuperBook has received more bets placed on the New York Giants winning the Super Bowl than any other team.
- At the Meadowlands sportsbook, the Buffalo Bills have pulled in the fewest bets of any team to win the Super Bowl.
Here are some notable Super Bowl bets placed on various teams at William Hill:
- $12,00 placed on the Falcons at 22-1
- $10,000 placed on the Riders at 20-1
- $5000 placed on the Lions at 50-1
- $4000 placed on the Titans at 50-1
- $1000 placed on the Jets at 100-1
- $1000 placed on the Browns at 100-1
With the following respective net’s:
- Since 2003, the Patriots have been 69-46-5 at home and 72-42-3 ATS away.
- The favorites on Thursdays are 97-66-5 ATS since 2003.
- Betters have placed six times more bets at Caesars sportsbook on the New Orleans Saints to go above their season-win total of 9.5 than have been placed on them to go under. The Denver Broncos(7.5) and Houston Texans(9) have also had six times more bets placed on them to go under in the season-win totals than on overs.
- More money has been wagered and more bets placed at the DraftKings sportsbook on the Giants to emerge as winners at the Super Bowl than any other team. The Giants retain the number one position at FanDuel sportsbook for Super Bowl bets; however, for money betted, the Saints hold the top position.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have pulled in the least bets and amount of money to win the Super Bowl at DraftKings.
The NFL Statistics
- The percentage of games during the 1st week that have stayed under since 2003 is 54.1.
- In 2017, during the regular season, the number of upsets by underdogs was 73, which was the third lowest of all seasons since 2003.
- Over the past 15 seasons, 52.1 is the percentage of games that have remained under the December total, making it the highest under percentage of any month during the regular seasons.
- The percentage of games that have stayed above the total in October is 53.0, which is the highest overs percentage for any month in the previous 15 seasons.
- Bill Belichick’s has had a 71.8 ATS winning percentage as an underdog with the Patriots. That’s the best of any current head coach with a minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Under coach Bill O’ Brien the Houston Texans had a 38-22-4 record against the spread in second halves, which is the best mark for any current head coach.
- In 2017 to 2018 regular season, 52.7 is the percentage of games the favorite covered, making it the second-best rate in the previous 15 seasons.
NBA Betting Statistics
Sports’ betting is a global phenomenon and the NBA is no different. It has attracted global bettors in their numbers.
For instance, a report in June 2016, stated that the 7th Game of the 2016 NBA finals received the most bets of any NBA game in the history of the league. Right behind it is game 6 of the same year.
Bill Settle a director at the Caesars Palace had this to say about the 7th game of the 2016 NBA Finals:
“In all my 29 years in the Industry at the William Hill’s Nevada Sportsbook, I have never seen anything like it.”
If you’re an active NBA bettor or about to begin here are some amazing stats to consider:
- The teams that have gotten the most bets placed on them to win the NBA are the Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics, and the Houston Rockets, respectively.
- There are more bets placed on the Celtics and Lakers than any other team at Caesars Palace.
- The Lakers have attracted the most bets to win the NBA title at the Station Casinos, MGM Sportsbook, and Westgate Superbook.
- The teams that have had the most money placed on them to win the NBA title at the Superbook are the Lakers, Golden State Warriors, and Celtics.
- More cash has been placed on the Warriors to emerge as winners than anyone at the MGM books, followed by the Celtics.
- In the first week the Superbook opened odds to win the NBA title, a person placed $10,000 bets on the Warriors to come out winners at +110 and $10,000 at +120.
- A SuperBook bettor put a $67,736 bet on the Warriors to get into the playoffs at -10,000 odds.
- About 50% of the cash wagered on DraftKings odds for the NBA winner title is on the Celtics.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers hold the largest liability in the SuperBook’s odds to emerge as winners in the NBA championship futures market.
- The team with the fewest bets for the NBA title at the SuperBook is the Charlotte Hornets.
- The Atlanta Hawks alongside the Sacramento Kings are the longest shot on the board at the SuperBook, as eight bets have been on the Atlanta Hawks in one season to win the NBA title at 1000-1.
- A VIP at the SuperBook put a $90,000 bet on the San Antonio Spurs to get into the playoffs at -180. And the wager would be expected to yield a net win of $50,000.
- 40% of the cash wagered at DraftKings on the odds to win rookie of the year are on Knick guard Kevin Knox.
- Both James and Joel Embid have both accounted for approximately 40% of the money wagered on Draftkings odds to win the most valuable player.
NBA Season Win Totals
- The Spurs under 43.5 hold the biggest liability at the SuperBook for its season win totals.
- The Caesars Palace largest season win total liabilities are the Spurs over 45, the Hawks under 24.5 and Rockets over 55.5.
- In some books, the Hawks win totals have been as low as 22.5 and are the 15th lowest since the 2002 to 2003 season. However, Analytics site Eldorado states that 13 of 16teams with win totals as low or lower than 22.5 have gone over the win total.
- The Warriors have a season win total of 60 and are the ninth team to have this.
NBA Coaching Numbers
- The number of games the Warriors have been underdogs with coach Steve Kerr is 23. The Golden State Warriors is 10-13 ATS in these matches.
- If a bettor placed $100 on every game with Gregg Popovich as the coach for the Spurs, they would be up by $1,530.
- There are 8 coaches with losing records against the spread: J.B Bickerstaff, David Fizdale, Luke Walton, David Fizdale, Lue, Alvin Gentry, Billy Donovan, and Fred Hoiberg.
- The percentage of games with Quid Snyder as the Utah Jazz coach that have stayed below the total is 54.23.
MLB Betting Statistics
Baseball is arguably the most profitable sport for bettors.
Well unlike, basketball and football where most bets are dependent on the point spread; baseball is a money line spot. Meaning that as a bettor, you just need to pick who wins a game, and not who covers.
Baseball also offers bettor’s seemingly endless opportunities for edge maximization as the games have a long, drawn-out schedule.
With that said, let’s see MLB betting statistics that’ll help you make better decisions:
- Popular teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs are always overpriced as recreational bettors bet on them regardless of if they’re -180, -200, or -150.
- If bettors had bet $100 on each plus-money dog since 2010, they would have profited $12,972.
- In the 2016 -2017 season, the Los Angeles Dodgers ended with a 64.2% record (104-58). The San Francisco and Detroit Tigers in the same season ended at the worst mark at 39.5% (64-98).
- It’s a common trend for top teams to win approximately 100 games and the underdogs to win 60 games.
- Bettors need -150 favorites to win 60.0% of the time if they want to break even. In scenarios when it’s increased to -180, bettors would need a 64.3% win on all wagers.
- When betting on the underdog, bettors only need +150 to break even. If this is increased to +160, bettors only need to win 38.0% of the time.
- Bettors from all over the world are more likely to place bets on the 5 most popular teams in the MLB: the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants. This is done without recourse to the famous team factor.
- The Minnesota Twins were the most profitable team to bet on in the first half of 2019 MLB season.
- At +1515 the San Francisco Giants come in as the second most profitable team to bet on in the 2019 majors. With the Los Angeles Dodgers coming in at +1217
- The Detroit Tigers were the worst team to bet on in the 2019 MLB half-season with a -$2,687 net, which is worse than the -$1,667 of Kansas City or the -$1,780 mark of the Boston Red Sox.
- When picking overs the Mariners have been the most profitable team to bet on in the 2019 season.
- The Cincinnati Reds are the best team to bet under in 2019.
MLS Betting Statistics
MLS betting is as basic as it gets. In the market, you can bet on majorly three possible outcomes, which are the away team wins, the home team wins or the game ends in a draw. Bettors can also place bets on goal scores. For example, if a particular team would win by 1 – 0 or 2 -1.
With that said, let’s dive into the stats:
- In the 2018 season only 18% of games ended with a score of 1-0, 23% ended with 3 goals, and 21% ended with 2 goals. This means placing bets over 1.5 or 2.54 would be profitable in the MLS as it turned out to be in 63% and 83% of matches in 2018.
- As of 2018, there was a positive 6% rise from the recorded goal scoring figures of previous seasons, with both teams scoring in 61% of all MLS games.
- In the MLS bets placed on the home team, do not always have the strongest advantage.
- The 2018 MLS season saw a high -21% draw rate.
- Betting on the home team is more favorable than betting on the away team as only 25% of games see the away team wins.
- The New York Red Bulls and Atlanta United are the top teams that attract the most bets to win the title.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.