5 Benefits of Raw African Black Soap
Originally posted on https://happynappyandfit.com/raw-african-black-soap/
Packed with natural ingredients and antioxidants, raw African black soap has become all the rage for its cleansing and moisturizing properties. Originally from West Africa, this soap is known all over the world for its ability to leave the skin glowing, supple, and rejuvenated.
Keep reading to learn 5 benefits of raw African black soap.
How It’s Made
First, plantain skins roast in the sun and then again in an oven. Afterwards, cocoa pod powder, palm oil, palm kernel oil, are added. The mixture sits for about a day before being formed into soap. The longer the plantains are cooked, the darker the mixture. Since some producers cook the plantains at different temperatures, some soaps are darker than others.
Great For All Skin Types
Black soap products is gentle enough for all skin types. This is ideal for those with sensitive skin that are prone to redness and rashes. It maintains the balance of the skin’s natural oils without stripping any of it out. It’s an alternative to commercial skin products that contain hidden ingredients that are not healthy for your skin.
Minimizes Blemishes and Dark Spots
Ingredients containing allantoin and essential fatty acids can help minimize the appearance of blemishes and dark spots. The pure oils and butters in the soap contain skin lightening properties that can even out skin discoloration, such as scarring.
Black soap also has many inflammatory properties that can combat acne. It provides a cleanse deep enough to unclog excess dirt, grime, and sebum in pores. It can also prevent scarring from acne.
Combats Skin Conditions
Vitamin-rich ingredients, such as shea butter, can help soothe a variety of skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, and rosacea. The anti-inflammatory properties in the soap can help exfoliate the dry, flaky dead cells from the skin and trap moisture. It is an ideal shampoo for people who suffer from dandruff.
High concentration of lauric acid gives black soap its antibacterial properties, which can combat fungal infections, bacteria, and microbes.
Soothes Razor Bumps
Move over shaving cream and aftershave: African black soap is the new go-to product for all things shaving. It can help moisturize and soothe red, irritated skin, as well heal cells around hair follicles.
Reduces Appearance of Aging
Ingredients in African black soap that encourage collagen production, can minimize the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. These antioxidants also have a little UV-protection properties that can help prevent photoaging. However, it is not a replacement for sunscreen.
The plant-based ingredients in homemade African Black Soap vary, depending on the region that they are produced in. They usually contain some of the following ingredients:
- Cocoa pod leaves and/or cocoa powder – anti-inflammatory properties, softens skin
- Plantain skin, ashes, leaves, and/ or bark – repairs and helps skin tissue, contains allantoin, which has anti-aging properties
- Palm kernel oil – antibacterial and anti-fungal properties
- Palm oil – treats acne and eczema, reduces cell damage from environment
- Coconut oil – helps heal skin conditions, antibacterial and anti-aging properties
- Shea butter – moisturizing properties, repairs damaged skin, doesn’t clog pores
- Cocoa butter – moisturizing, anti-photoaging properties, helps heal skin conditions
Reminders Before Using Raw African Black Soap
- Always test a patch of your skin before cleansing your face and body. The soap may cause some drying at first, so always use a hydrating moisturizer after usage.
- Always buy authentic and organic African Black Soap. It also labeled as Yoruba soap or Anago soap, depending on the region. Some companies include synthetic ingredients that are too harsh for your skin, such as fragrance and glycerin.
- Remember to always read the ingredient list of every black soap bar. Some of the ingredients may cause an allergic reaction.
- In order to stretch the life of your black soap, cut the bar into a few pieces. Keep it in a dry place so that it does not melt. To create a black soap liquid cleanser, place small chunks of it in water in a spray bottle and let it dissolve overnight.
- Do not scrub skin with black soap, especially on the sensitive places on your face like your nose and around your eyes.
Save Money With Black Soap
Raw African black soap is as essential skin care product for every household. It is an ideal facial wash, body wash, shampoo, shaving cream, or aftershave. Have you replaced any products with black soap? Tell us in the comment section below!