How to Start a Successful Online Business
So you’re interested in starting an online business, but you’re not exactly sure where to start.
In many ways, starting an online business is similar to opening up a brick-and-mortar store. You’ll make a plan, organize your funding, produce a product, then get to work.
However, there are some unique aspects to running an online business that you need to consider in order for it to be successful.
Here are the steps you should follow in order to increase your chances of success:
Find the Market First
When starting an online business, many people choose the product first and then go looking for the market.
However, it’s best to do this the other way around: find a group of people with a specific problem, and then create a product that offers a solution to this problem.
Finding your market can be easy with some internet research. Here are a few suggestions:
- Check out online forums to see what issues people are trying to solve
- Do keyword research and make a list of keywords people are commonly searching
- Check out potential competitors in the field and see what they’re doing to meet the demand
Write Killer Copy
Once you’ve found a product that can offer a solution to your audience, it’s time to write some copy to sell that product.
There are thousands of books that explain how to write the best sales copy. But, the main thing you should focus on is writing copy that addresses the custom’s problem.
It should answer the question, “What’s in it for me?”
Create a Website
You know your market, you know your product, and you’re ready to tell why your products awesome. Now, you’re ready to create your website.
When someone enters your site, you only have a few seconds to grab their attention. In order to grab their attention you should:
- Keep navigation easy and simple on every page
- Use videos, graphics, and other visuals to grab attention
- Include opt-in offers so you can obtain email addresses
- Make it super easy to buy- no more than 2 clicks to get to the checkout
- Make sure your content is high-quality
- Offer multiple payment options- many Paypal bingo sites succeed because they do this.
Use Search Engines to Drive Customers to Your Site
Using PPC (Pay-Per-Click) ads can be one of the best ways to drive some immediate traffic to your site.
Unlike organic searches, PPC ads show up on the top of the search results immediately. Plus, with PPC ads you can test out different keywords, headlines, and selling approaches to figure out which one works best.
Establish Yourself As An Expert
People are way more likely to trust what you have to say and buy your product if they believe you are an industry expert.
You can establish your expert reputation by:
- Giving away free expert content, such as articles, guides, e-books, and videos.
- Distribute the content through online directories or by including “send to a friend” links with each piece of content.
- Engage in industry forums or industry specific social network sites
Use the Power of Email Marketing
Anytime someone chooses to opt-in with their email, you have the opportunity to convert a visitor into a customer.
For some serious lead conversion, make sure you are constantly rolling out emails that offer exclusive incentives.
Starting an Online Business: Wrap Up
Follow these steps and you’ll be well on your way to operating a successful online business.
Please drop us a comment if you have any questions about this advice.