ArticleCity.comArticle Categories How to Look out for Repetitive Stress Injuries

How to Look out for Repetitive Stress Injuries

Originally posted on


Are You Experiencing Pain Due to a Repetitive Stress Injury?

It’s easy for a repetitive workplace injury to sneak up on you. It’s always important to pay attention to the warning signs, especially when working in a job that involves repetitive actions.

The main symptom for an RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury) is pain that also involves aching and tenderness. Pay attention for stiffness in the area, or a throbbing sensation. Tingling or numbness is also a sign of a repetitive stress injury.

If you experience any of these sensations along with cramping reach out to your employer. The area may feel weak or not be as strong as before. Your workplace should change up your daily tasks to assist in your injury.

If the problem still persists seek out a doctor to make sure everything is alright.

Severity of Repetitive Injuries

When experiencing problems from repetitive stress injuries in your workplace reach out to a doctor. There are a variety of types of RSI and you’ll want to be diagnosed by a doctor. The main two types of repetitive stress injuries include musculoskeletal or nerve damage.

Having damage done to the musculoskeletal system may result in swelling or inflammation in the target area. While nerve damage can be harder to pinpoint. This type of pain is often referred to as non-specific pain syndrome. It’s important to know which you have, as treatment varies with every injury.

RSI should always be handled with seriousness and care. Some treatments are more simple to fix than others. Severe RSI can result in the need for surgery. Getting a diagnosis will help you to prevent further damage.

How To Prevent Repetitive Stress Injuries

The simplest way to help with a repetitive stress injury is to change your daily movements. If your RSI is minor this can take care of the problem completely. Talking to your employer when first noticing the symptoms, should hopefully result in a change to your daily work schedule.

Keep in mind the use of anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen is not a long term solution. The pain is being caused by using your muscles regularly in a specific way. The pain killers may help with the pain, but they’re not healing the injury.

Continuous use of a limb even after you’ve noticed symptoms could lead to a more severe injury. If left untreated it could even result in the need for surgery. Using medication, hot or cold, or splints, after you’ve changed your daily movement, can help during the natural healing process.

With more severe cases physical therapy or steroid injection may help assist you with RSI treatment. Surgery can be used if necessary as well to reduce chronic pain. Talk to your doctor about the right treatment for you.

Keep your work in the loop, as it’s their responsibility to assist with RSI if possible.

Finding A Doctor Who Can Help

Getting a doctor is both important for your recovery but also important for gathering information. RSI is and can be covered under Workplace Compensation. After the initial visit to your doctor, it is your responsibility to notify your employer.

You have 30 days from the time of realized injury to inform your work. However the sooner the better. This notification should be detailed and informative. Explain how you received the injury and the effects of the injury in depth with your doctor.

When seeking out the right doctor keep in mind that in New York the doctor needs to be qualified. Look for a doctor authorized by the NYS Worker’s Compensation Board. Finding the right doctor means you won’t need to use insurance or pay out of pocket.

The medical expenses required to help and diagnose your injury should go through the WCB. It’s important to diagnose the severity of your RSI right away. This can help to assist in treatment, along with help with your claim. Once you have detailed information about your injury you can submit the claim.

Technically you have two years to submit a claim, but it’s better to do it right away. Keep in mind if you’ve had a previous injury in the same area this is prevalent information. You’ll need to fill out a second claim if this is the case.

You’ll need to know if your company has PPO. If they do, make sure you’re seeing a qualified healthcare provider. By seeing a doctor outside of your employer’s Preferred Provider Organization you’ll risk your entire claim. After the initial treatment, 30 days, you have the right to change to a different medical professional.

Regardless of how you choose to proceed, keep in mind these medical professionals cannot bill you directly. Any medical bills received need to be sent to the New York Worker’s Compensation Board. The majority of medical assistance will be covered through your claim, this can include both physical and metal treatment.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.