Dental Bridge vs Dental Implant
When you need a replacement for missing teeth, two standard options are a dental bridge and a dental implant. Both provide unique features and benefits that can improve your mouth’s performance and enhance your smile. Which one is better for you? You can get dental bridges in Waukegan, IL, at your local dentist, but we will take a look at the pros and cons of a dental bridge vs dental implant.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a titanium post that supports a dental crown. The support acts just like a tooth root. Dental implants in Waukegan, IL usually require a surgical procedure. The dentist inserts the post. Once your mouth recovers from this procedure, the doctor places a crown on top of the post.
Finally, the doctor attaches an abutment to the post-frame to anchor the new tooth implant. Once the procedure is complete, you will have a full set of teeth once again. The dental implant will feel and perform like a regular tooth. Types of dental implants in Waukegan, IL include endosteal implants and subperiosteal implants.
- They require little maintenance
- With standard care (brushing, routine exams), implants can last a lifetime
- Since they fill a gap, implants protect your jawbone
- Dental implants do not rely on support from other teeth as a bridge does
- Implants are more permanent than dental bridges
- Implants require a surgical procedure (more pain, costs, surgical risks)
- The entire process can take three to six months
- Implants are typically more expensive than dental bridges
What is a Dental Bridge?
Dental bridges span across the gap between one or more missing teeth. The existing teeth support the bridge on either side.
Dental bridges contain dental crowns that fit over the replacement tooth. Dentists refer to the anchored part of the tooth as the abutment. The false teeth that lie in between your natural teeth are pontics. There may be different types of dental bridges in Waukegan available to you, such as traditional, cantilever, and bonded.
- The dental bridge procedure is easy
- You will feel less pain than a surgical procedure
- The process only takes a few weeks to complete
- Dental bridges are more affordable than implants
- Dental bridges do not look as natural as implants
- You will need to replace bridges from time to time (typically every five to seven years)
- Your natural teeth may be affected by the bridges
Dental Bridge vs Dental Implant: Which One is Right for You?
When it comes to a dental bridge vs dental implant, there are several things you need to consider. The most important thing is to decide which produces the best results depending on your condition. You also need to consider your budget and what your insurance policy covers.
The best way to find out whether a dental bridge or dental implant is right for you is to consult your local dentist in Waukegan, IL. They can assess your condition and make recommendations.
Schedule a Dental Exam in Waukegan, IL
To find out more about a dental bridge vs dental implant, contact Greenwood Dental. We offer a wide range of dental services in Waukegan, IL. Call us at 855.528.3961 to schedule an exam. We can help restore your smile!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.