5 Things an Unhappy Husband Never Says Until it’s Too Late
Originally posted on https://bestlegalchoices.com/5-things-an-unhappy-husband-never-says-until-its-too-late/
Life in an unhappy marriage can have long-term effects on physical, mental, and emotional health. Many men avoid confrontation, potentially painful communication, and then suffer the consequences.
An unhappy husband may experience physical health issues, including:
- Digestive disorders
- Higher blood pressure
- Reduced brain function
- Sleep disorders
- Weakened immune system
- Weight gain
Mental health issues faced by an unhappy husband may include:
- At-risk for mental illness
- Decision-making difficulty
- Decreased attention span
- Memory problems
An unhappy husband may experience emotional problems, including:
- Mood swings
Why Can’t an Unhappy Husband “Speak Up?”
Frequently, an unhappy husband remains silent because he doesn’t know how you’ll react. He still loves you and doesn’t want to make you mad. Your husband doesn’t want the conversation to upset you so much that you leave and take the kids. He may be nervous that the issues are so deep, the conversation may cause a divorce. Many men will keep quiet even after their spouse does just that: get mad, leaves, takes the kids, files for divorce.
Perhaps it’s unfair to ask spouses to watch for signs of their partners’ unhappiness. However, when an unhappy husband keeps quiet, everyone suffers from the negative impacts, especially the kids.
Signs He’s Discontent
If you suspect you have an unhappy husband, you’re probably right. Here are some things an unhappy husband will say and do:
- Avoid important conversations
- Complain about you reminding him of every mistake he’s ever made
- Complain about your nagging
- Doesn’t understand why you don’t want him to hang out with his friends
- Rolls his eyes when you schedule a social event
- Says he feels nothing he does makes you happy
- Puts in longer hours at work
What an Unhappy Husband Wants to Say…But Won’t
- I know sometimes you’re scared and need me to take care of you. However, sometimes I’m scared and need your empathy. What it means: I don’t mind being your primary supporter. I just wish you’d be mine.
- I wish you’d appreciate me more. What it means: I’m tired. I’m home. Instead of meeting me at the door with a to-do list, I wish you’d acknowledge that I spent all day working.
- I’d like to have a romantic relationship with you. What it means: It’s unfair that “we” have taken a backseat to everything. I know you’re busy, but I’d like intimacy to become a priority again.
- I’d like to have time for myself. What it means: Days turn into months and years. All I do is work away from home and work at home. Our family is important, and our marriage is important, but I need some time to myself.
- Why does every discussion have to be about issues? What it means: I resent you always being the responsible one. I’d like to have lighthearted and engaging conversations, too.
Starting the Conversation
Why do any of us do what we do? We care about each other. There are several heartfelt ways to get an unhappy husband out of his shell. Schedule time together – a walk or drive – and ask one or two questions that may prompt valuable discussion:
- When are you happiest?
- How can I better support your role as a husband or father?
- What do you worry about?
- What could make this the best year of our lives?
- What do you need from me?
A group of legal, financial, and communications coaching professionals at Best Legal Choices care, too. You may be able to avoid courtroom stress and lessen conflict using the collaborative divorce procecess, including the professionals at Best Legal Choices. If it’s time to take the next step toward living apart, contact us to discuss Arizona collaborative divorce options.
Collaborative Divorce Is a Peaceful Divorce Option
Divorce litigation can be scary and emotionally draining for you, your spouse, and your children. But it doesn’t have to be that way with collaborative divorce. The collaborative process can result in a less expensive, more efficient, and less harmful outcome for everyone involved. The legal, financial, and communication professionals at Best Legal Choices can help you navigate this difficult time in your life.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.